Monday, July 20, 2009

To Benadryl or not to Benadryl - that is the question

Our flight to Paris is a red-eye. We leave Boston around 7:00 pm on Friday and get in to Paris about 7:30 in the morning the next day. Total flight length is about 7 hours. Ideally, I'd like the boys to get at least 4 hours of sleep on the plane, but when we went to Seattle (also a night flight, but not a red eye as it was going in the opposite direction), they had a hard time falling asleep. So, the big question is whether or not to give them Benadryl (and they have had it before and no - it does not make them hyper as it does with some kids). On the one hand, it seems like really bad parenting to drug your kids just to make life easier. On the other hand, it's not like it's an illegal drug or anything - it's just Benadryl. Plus, given that I'll probably be operating on very little sleep myself (I don't sleep well on planes generally, and the boys will probably be all over me trying to get comfortable), it would be nice to have them not be a big hot mess the first day we're there. We're not planning on doing anything that day, but overtired boys and overtired parents can be a bad combination.

I've been mulling this over for a while now, and I'm still on the fence. Our pediatrician (who is also a good friend) suggested bringing it along and seeing how it goes, but I'd kind of like to have a game plan before we go - that's just how I roll.

2 comments:

  1. Go for it. I am a big believer in getting rest whatever way you can.

    I am looking forward to following your adventures.

    aunt Fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote YES on the Benadryl.... !

    ReplyDelete