Thursday, August 27, 2009

Virtues of the Manbag


Before this trip I made a decision to get a manbag. Good decision. There are two things I really like about having the bag for tourist-days-out. First, it provides great protection against theft. I wear it over my shoulder and around my neck, like a messenger bag. I put my really valuable stuff, like wallet and keys, in the inner zipped compartment and then zip the top. So, to get at that stuff, a pick-pocket would have to lift the flap and open two zippers. To steal the bag, they’d have to lift it over my head and under my arm. Of course, it is possible for someone to cut the strap, grab it and run, but perfect security is impossible. The real threat is leaving it somewhere, which I’ve only done once, in a cafĂ© at the British Museum today (luckily the bus boy and I both realized it 10 seconds after I left the table).

The other thing I like is being able to carry stuff (duh). Besides valuables, I’ve carried all the navigation materials. It’s nice not having to ask Shannon all the time for the mapbook from her purse. And, I’ve been the designated Nintendo DS carrier. These have made for many very peaceful meals at restaurants.

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys

    I have really enjoyed sharing your adventures. Great stories and pictures.

    Have a safe trip home.

    Aunt Trish

    ReplyDelete