Monday, May 16, 2011

Firin’ Up the Blog Again

A few years back, Doug and I started this blog to chronicle our adventures during a month-long home exchange in Europe. We managed to capture the good, the bad and the ugly. The beauty of this blog, for us, has been the ability to revisit old postings and to reminisce about our times in Paris and London. Psychologists who study happiness will tell you that our memories of experiences like vacations tend to be faulty; over the long run, we tend to forget what was bad and only remember the good parts. We’ve found blogging helps to prevent such forgetfulness and that we wouldn’t want it any other way.

So, when we recently found out that both Doug and I have received Fulbright awards for the next academic year, we knew we would be firin’ up the blog again. We figured we’d do it when we left to go overseas, but as we’ve experienced the emotional roller coaster over the past month since we found out (two recent panic inducing words: home schooling), I’ve realized that I want to remember all of these moments leading up to the trip as well as the trip itself. My hope is that by blogging them, I’ll be able to look back and laugh at how neurotic I was (note that I do not hope that I will look back and realize how accurate my fears were).

Over the next two months then, we will occasionally blog about our preparations to move our family overseas. We will be spending the fall semester in Hong Kong, where Doug will be teaching and working on the General Education program at Lingnan University. Then, sometime in February, we will be moving on to China, where I will be teaching at some university somewhere in China – where, we don’t quite know yet. By mid-August, we have to pack up here in Massachusetts and set up in our new home Tuen Muen, Hong Kong. Between now and then, we have a lot to do – and we’ll definitely keep you abreast of how that’s going: the good, the bad AND the ugly.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! So excited for your family. And very excited about being able to follow your adventure here on your blog. You can instantly make a book when you are done using blog2print.com (more expensive, but basically it is the push of a button) or blurb.com (more labor intensive because you have to tweak each post a little) - I have used both. Looking forward to reading about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your blog last time and will enjoy reading about all the new adventures coming your way

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be like the anti- "Year in Provence" I suspect :)

    ReplyDelete