Monday, October 31, 2011

Bangkok


I’m not going to bore everyone with all of the details of our week-long stay in Thailand, so I’ll post some highlights here along with pictures. First, let’s start with Bangkok.

Our time in Bangkok was lovely, but overshadowed by the fact that we were worried about getting out due to the flooding. As the pictures show, water levels were high and sandbags were ubiquitous.


While in Bangkok, we stayed at the Siam City; thanks to our colleague, we were placed on the Executive Level, which included a free breakfast buffet. Needless to say, this thrilled the boys as did the outdoor pool to which we retired for at least some part of each day. The other highlight of Bangkok for the boys: traveling in a tuk tuk. Horribly dangerous you say? True, but also incredibly fun. I’d put it in my highlight reel too as it’s always been something I wanted to do.


For me, another highlight was the Chattachuk Market, which we visited on Sunday and which many rate as one of the best weekend markets in all of Asia as one can also find original fashion and art amongst the knockoffs. I scored another Buddha for my collection along with a long dress to wear for our sightseeing at Bangkok’s sacred sites.


We hit those sacred sites on Monday; the river was just low enough to allow us to take a river boat ride there. Loud and smelly, but still totally worth it.


I think the Royal Palace was probably the best of Bangkok. Pictures can’t really do it justice; I’ll post some anyway and just say that it was unlike anything I’ve ever seen.






The reclining Budhha was also amazing, but it was difficult to get perspective on how huge and awesome it was; the boys loved dropping tin coins in a series of bins along one wall. The sound they made was magical.


One thing we were really looking forward to was eating authentic Thai food, and the visit did not disappoint (well – Doug might disagree as something he ate gave him some pretty bad food poisoning. For my money, it was the undercooked shrimp fritters – so glad I passed on that one). I am now officially obsessed with green papaya salad; I tried numerous versions during our stay with the best ones making my eyes water and nose run in a wonderful way.

After a whirlwind 60 hours or so, we were off to Phuket. As I mentioned in my last post, we were literally hours away from being stranded in Bangkok. Our flight left the airport around 10 a.m.; by 2:00 p.m. that same day, the runways were flooded and Nok Air, our airline, suspended all flights. While I wish we could have spent more time there, I was relieved we made it out. And in the end, given our experiences, I’m pretty confident that we’ll be back some day to explore some more.

Coming soon: Phuket highlights.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. The boys are getting so big!

    Aunt cheryl

    ReplyDelete