Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Beauty of Yangshuo


I’m sitting in the airport (okay - I'm not really sitting in the airport right now.  I'm posting this from home, where I actually have internet access, but I did write it all in the airport), reflecting on our time here in Yangshuo, and all I can say is that we’ve packed so many amazing experiences and adventures into our time here including:

Touring the Gold Water Caves, with stalactites, stalagmites, mud slides, and hot spring baths




Climbing up to and on top of Moon Hill Karst



Taking the local bus from Yangshuo, packed full of Chinese going about their daily lives, catching glimpses of the countryside




Swimming in the Li River, at the scene of the picture on the back 20CNY note, much to the amusement of the local Chinese boys



Purchasing and eating delicious fruit from local farmers sitting on the side of the road waiting to deliver this goods




Exploring farmers' paths through the countryside to all sorts of interesting places, such as little beaches on the river and locked off caves in the Karst mountains





But most of all, I am blown away by the beauty of the countryside in Yangshuo and the friendliness of the locals who live off the beaten path (something that you don’t often experience in the hyper-capitalist cities, particularly in this period where anti-foreigner sentiment is running high). Yanghsuo is everything I imagined when I thought of China before coming here. And while I recognize that China is so much more than this, it’s this trip that had really made me love China more than anything we’ve experienced so far.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment